In pursuit of the development of the whole person, Lenoir-Rhyne University seeks to liberate mind and spirit, clarify personal faith, foster physical wholeness, build a sense of community, and promote responsible leadership for service in the world.
As an institution of the North Carolina Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the University holds the conviction that wholeness of personality, true vocation, and the most useful service to God and the world are best discerned from the perspective of Christian faith.
As a community of learning, the University provides programs of undergraduate, graduate, and continuing study committed to the liberal arts and sciences as a foundation for a wide variety of careers and as guidance for a meaningful life.
Our goal is to be a nationally recognized liberal arts institution of choice - known for our excellence in building leaders for tomorrow, developing patterns of lifelong learning, positioning our graduates for success in their professional, personal, and spiritual lives and providing an unparalleled quality of caring within our university community.
Lenoir-Rhyne University espouses a set of values designed to inform us, as members of this educational community, in our personal development and our interactions with others. These values establish our principles of operation as an organization. They furnish guidance and assurance to each member of our community, and they help us to see how everyone’s contributions improve the life of our university.
These principles are made manifest through our daily actions, and they are fully realized only when embraced by everyone in our community. Constant and consistent attention to these core values will cultivate the continuous improvement of our institution, will assist us in the achievement of our mission, and will direct us toward realizing our vision as a university.
Excellence - We will strive for excellence in everything we do. We will continuously cultivate our intellectual, physical, and spiritual growth. We will develop our talents and abilities to their fullest extents.
Integrity - We will act with integrity at all times. We will respect and be honest with each other. We will take personal responsibility for our words and our actions.
Care - We will care about others in our learning and working relationships. We will be responsible stewards of our resources. We will support each other and work together toward the common good.
Curiosity - We will learn from our community, past and present. We will confront important issues with humility and open minds. We will embrace the gains attained from the diversity of people and perspectives.
Lenoir-Rhyne University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award bachelor’s and master’s degrees. For information on accreditation status, contact:
The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, GA 30033-4097
Initial Accreditation: 1928
Last Accreditation Review: 2012
Next Accreditation Review: 2018
Purpose of Accreditation Status Publication:
The purpose of publishing Lenoir-Rhyne University’s accreditation status with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) is 1) to learn about the accreditation status of the institution, 2) to file a third-party comment at the time of the University’s decennial review, or 3) to file a complaint against the University for alleged non-compliance with a standard or requirement. It indicates that normal inquiries about the institution, such as admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc. should be addressed directly to the institution and not to the Commission’s office.
South Carolina Commission on Higher Education
The Master of Arts in Counseling, Master of Arts in Human Services, and the Master of Science in Occupational Therapy degree programs offered through Lenoir-Rhyne’s Center for Graduate Studies in Columbia, SC are licensed by the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education, 1122 Lady Street, Suite 300, Columbia SC 29201, Telephone (803) 737-2260, www.che.sc.gov. Licensure indicates only that minimum standards have been met; it is not an endorsement or guarantee of quality. Licensure is not equivalent to or synonymous with accreditation by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant, Inc.
The ARC-PA has granted Accreditation-Provisional status to the Lenoir-Rhyne University Physician Assistant Program sponsored by Lenoir-Rhyne University.
Accreditation-Provisional is an accreditation status granted when the plans and resource allocation, if fully implemented as planned, of a proposed program that has not yet enrolled students appear to demonstrate the program’s ability to meet the ARC-PA Standards or when a program holding Accreditation-Provisional status appears to demonstrate continued progress in complying with the Standards as it prepares for the graduation of the first class (cohort) of students.
Accreditation-Provisional does not ensure any subsequent accreditation status.
It is limited to no more than five years from matriculation of the first class.
The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education
2010 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20036-1023
Initial Accreditation: 1958
Last Accreditation Review: October 2013
Next Accreditation Review: Spring 2020
The Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education
ACOTE; c/o Accreditation Department
American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA)
6116 Executive Boulevard, Suite 200
North Bethesda, MD 20852-4929
Initial Accreditation: December 1996
Last Accreditation Review: December 2018
Next Accreditation Review Academic Year: 2025/2026
Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs
Initial Accreditation: April 2002
Last Accreditation Review: June 2014
Next Accreditation Review: June 2024
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
Baccalaureate Nursing Degree Program
Initial Accreditation: 2005
Next Accreditation Review: 2020
Master’s Nursing Degree Program
Initial Accreditation: 2014
Next Accreditation Review: 2019
Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)
120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000
Chicago, IL 60606-6995
800.877.1600 ext. 5400
Initial Accreditation: 2016
Next Accreditation Review: 2023
CAATE (Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education)
2201 Double Creek Dr.
Round Rock, TX 78664
Initial Accreditation: 2011
Next Accreditation Review: 2025
CACREP (Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs)
1001 North Fairfax Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Initial Accreditation: 2014
Next Accreditation Review: March 2022
The Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada
Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada, and the following degree programs are approved: Master of Divinity, Master of Arts Religion, Master of Arts in Christian Ministry, Master of Sacred Theology.
The Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada:
10 Summit Park Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15275, USA
Initial accreditation: 1944
Last Accreditation review: 2013
Next Accreditation review: 2020
The Reverends William P. Cline, Andrew L. Crouse, Jason Moser, and Robert A. Yoder shared the desire of other Lutheran leaders that the church establish an institution in Hickory to train teachers and ministers and offer a religious-oriented education to all youth.
Their desire for a school did not take form until property became available through a Hickory businessman, Colonel J.G. Hall. The property, a 56-acre tract one mile north of the Hickory business district, was part of the estate of a Watauga County lawyer, Captain Walter Lenoir. Before he died in 1890, Captain Lenoir surveyed the area and deeded it to Colonel Hall with the request that it be used only as a campus for a church-sponsored college. Colonel Hall, acting as Lenoir’s trustee, turned the property over to the ministers after they had signed personal notes assuring that $10,000 would be invested in buildings and equipment.
The school opened September 1, 1891. It carried the name ”Highland College,” but four months later it was chartered under the name of Lenoir College in memory of the donor of the land. The 149 students and eight teachers met for classes the first year in a modest two-door frame structure which had originally housed a private academy. During its second year, the College moved into a new brick main building which housed the academic, administrative, social, and religious life of the campus until it was destroyed by fire in 1927.
Even though Lutheran ministers founded the College, taught its classes, and Lutheran congregations sent young people to its doors, it was not until 1895 that the College established a formal relationship with the church. That year, the Evangelical Lutheran Tennessee Synod, which included a large number of North Carolina congregations, assumed official sponsorship and support of the institution and, through its successor bodies, has maintained the church relationship to the present day.
For almost three decades Lenoir College served as a combination college, business school, and academy under the leadership of President R.A. Yoder (1891-1901) and President R.L. Fritz (1901-1920). By the time Dr. J.C. Peery (1920-1925) became president, the emergence of public schools in North Carolina had squeezed the academy division out of the college structure. The institution made another major change in its academic program by abandoning its traditional program of a single liberal arts curriculum and offering students a choice of varied major fields.
In 1923 the College changed its name to honor Daniel E. Rhyne, a Lincoln County industrialist who boosted the endowment and other assets of the institution with his frequent gifts. In recognition of his support, the institution’s name became Lenoir-Rhyne College.
Approval of Lenoir-Rhyne College’s academic program was earned during the Fritz administration when the North Carolina State Board of Education awarded A-grade ratings to Lenoir and nine other colleges. It was during the administration of President H. Brent Schaeffer (1926-1934) that regional accreditation was earned. Lenoir-Rhyne College was admitted to membership in the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools in 1928.
Dramatic growth in student enrollment marked the closing years of the administration of Dr. P.E. Monroe (1934-1949). Boosted by the influx of returning veterans following World War II, enrollment rose from 407 in 1945 to 843 two years later.
Lenoir-Rhyne University’s Growth
The trend toward rising enrollments carried over into the administration of Dr. Voigt R. Cromer (1949-1967). Gradual enlargement of the student body continued until 1,300 students were enrolled. The faculty increased to 96 members, the endowment grew to $1.8 million, and 13 major buildings were constructed.
During the administration of Dr. Raymond M. Bost (1967-1976), Lenoir-Rhyne College initiated long-range plans to enrich the quality of its curriculum. Major improvements in the academic calendar and program were implemented, and joint-degree programs with other institutions of higher education were increased. Student personnel services expanded, the campus enlarged to 100 acres, and the endowment grew to $3.9 million.
Dr. Albert B. Anderson served as the eighth president from 1976-1982. His administration was marked by a refinement of the College’s role as a church-related institution, the restructuring of the academic calendar and core curriculum, and the addition of majors in psychology and accounting. Capital campaigns conducted by the church, the local community, and alumni resulted in the construction of a physical education center, new instructional facilities, the renovation of an existing classroom building, and a new mini-auditorium. With the 1980-1981 academic year, the College established a graduate program in education. In addition, two significant programs-the Lineberger Center for Cultural and Educational Renewal and the Broyhill Institute for Business Leadership-were established under Dr. Anderson’s leadership and the endowment grew to $8.8 million.
Lenoir-Rhyne College graduate and member of the College’s Board of Trustees, Albert M. Allran, guided the College as interim president for approximately 20 months before the appointment of Dr. John E. Trainer, Jr. Dr. Trainer’s administration as ninth president began in August 1984 and closed in May 1994. In recognition of the College’s centennial anniversary in 1991, supporters contributed more than $27 million for endowment, building, and operational purposes. The endowment increased to $19 million and the annual operational budget advanced to $20 million. During the decade, the College also added a major field of study in occupational therapy, gained institutional recognition among top-ranked colleges in the nation, and initiated special renewed efforts to encourage academic excellence and student leadership development.
The tenth president, Dr. Ryan A. LaHurd, was called to Lenoir-Rhyne College in 1994, following nine years of service at Augsburg College (Minneapolis, MN), where he served as Vice President of Academic Affairs and Dean of the College. He helped the College achieve a vision to embrace multiculturalism, celebrate Lutheran heritage, and strengthen Lenoir-Rhyne College’s leadership as a comprehensive regional college of the liberal arts. He resigned in June 2002.
Dr. Wayne B. Powell became Lenoir-Rhyne’s 11th President on December 1, 2002, following two years of service as Vice President and Dean for Academic Affairs at the College. He previously served other institutions as a Dean and Professor of Mathematics. Dr. Powell has articulated an aggressive vision for Lenoir-Rhyne centered around excellence and founded in the College’s heritage as a nationally recognized comprehensive, liberal arts college operating under the Lutheran traditions of inquiry and free exchange of ideas.
In 2008 Lenoir-Rhyne College officially changed its name to Lenoir-Rhyne University. The University is governed by a 31-member Board of Trustees and is affiliated with the NC Synod of the ECLA. Under Dr. Powell’s leadership, Lenoir-Rhyne University has grown significantly, seeing record enrollments each year from 2009 forward and corresponding growth in total endowment. By 2015, total enrollment exceeded 2300 students, total endowment approached $100 million, and total full-time faculty rose to over 130 professors. In 2009, the faculty developed and implemented major revisions in the undergraduate core curriculum and convocation programs. In 2012, the University completed a very successful SACSCOC reaffirmation. In that same year, it opened a new graduate center in downtown Asheville, NC and, simultaneously, merged with the Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary in Columbia, SC. In 2014, it established a graduate center on its new Columbia campus. By 2015, the Asheville and Columbia graduate programs constituted nearly 350 of the over 2300 LR students, and the total graduate student enrollment on all three campuses approached 750 students in approximately 25 graduate programs (including several programs delivered fully online to students). In 2015, the University completed its most success capital campaign in institutional history, raising approximately $67 million in its “University Rising” campaign, which included support for the new Grace Chapel and the new Alex and Lee George Hall addition to the Minges Science Center, slated for completion in 2017.
The campus of Lenoir-Rhyne University includes approximately 100 acres, bounded by Fourth and Eighth Streets, N.E., and extending northeast of Seventh Avenue, N.E., in Hickory. In 2015, the University purchased additional acreage adjacent to campus on Lenoir Rhyne Boulevard designated to the growth of its health and medical science programs. Hickory is a city of about 40,000, and is the nucleus of North Carolina’s fourth largest metropolitan area.
The campus includes the following major structures:
Cloninger House (acquired 1996): Facing Seventh Ave. N.E., this structure was originally constructed in 1905 by the Rev. Robert Cline, brother of the Rev. William P. Cline, one of the College’s founders. It houses offices and meeting facilities for the Office of Alumni Relations and Office of Marketing and Communications.
Conrad Hall (1963): This residence hall, facing College Drive, accommodates 108 students. It was completed at a cost of $520,000 and named for Dr. Flavius L. Conrad, president of the United Evangelical Lutheran Synod of North Carolina from 1949 to 1962. Conrad Hall was totally renovated in 2008.
Cromer Center (1963): Facing Sixth Street, N.E., the Cromer Center includes lounges, meeting rooms, a meditation chapel, offices and rooms for student services, bookstore, post office, and Bears’ Lair (snack bar). It was completed at cost of $1 million and named for Dr. Voigt R. Cromer, sixth president of Lenoir-Rhyne College. The main facility was renovated in 2015, and the dining hall is presently under full renovation, slated for completion before fall 2016.
Fritz Hall (1950): This residence hall faces College Drive and accommodates 80 students. It was constructed originally as a men’s residence hall and renovated in 1958 and again in 2008. It is named for Dr. R.L. Fritz, Sr., member of the first graduating class, second president of Lenoir-Rhyne College, and member of the faculty for 52 years.
Isenhour Hall (1968): A residence hall for first year students faces Eighth Avenue, N.E., Isenhour accommodates 145 students. It is named for Dr. Harry E. Isenhour, Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Lenoir-Rhyne College from 1950 until 1971.
Lineberger Administration Building (1965): This office building faces the quadrangle, and it houses administrative offices, including the President, Provost, and Development. It was completed at the cost of $310,000, given by the Lineberger Foundation, Belmont, N.C. It was named for Archibald Caleb Lineberger, a Belmont industrialist.
Living-Learning Center (2001): Facing Sixth Street, N.E., the Living-Learning Center provides residence hall facilities, a faculty apartment, and a seminar space.
Lohr Hall (constructed 1997): Facing Seventh Avenue, N.E., the Lawrence L. and Frances Mauney Lohr Hall was constructed by joining two existing brick homes which had been acquired earlier by the University. One of these homes was built in 1938 for Professor Victor Aderholt, a member of the Class of 1915; the other in 1950 for Dr. Robert L. Fritz, an 1892 alumnus of Lenoir-Rhyne College. Both were acquired by the University in the 1980s. The facility now houses the Division of Enrollment Management, including offices and meeting rooms for Academic Records, Admissions, Financial Aid, and Student Success and Retention.
Mauney Hall (1928): This building was named for donors Mr. and Mrs. W.A. Mauney and Mr. and Mrs. J.S. Mauney and their families. A major renovation project was completed in 2004 converting the building into an academic facility housing faculty offices, classrooms, computer labs, and the Center for Commercial and Social Entrepreneurship.
Mauney Music Building (1960): A classroom-rehearsal building facing Sixth Street, N.E., this structure also contains studios, practice rooms, offices, band room, choral room, and recording and broadcasting equipment. It was completed at cost of $352,000 and named for the donors, Dr. and Mrs. William K. Mauney, Kings Mountain, N.C., and their sons. The pipe organ, given in memory of Ernest Jacob Mauney, was replaced in 1994 through a contribution by Thomas W. Reese; it was given in memory of his mother, Myrtle Suttlemyre Reese.
McCrorie Center (2002): On Stasavich Place, McCrorie Center is a facility designed to offer the most technologically advanced learning environment for students in the health sciences, including Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Health and Exercise Science, Community Health, Dietetics, and Athletic Training. The Center includes health program instruction areas such as classrooms, offices, and laboratory space, clinical areas encompassing athletic training offices, private exam rooms, rehabilitation, hydrotherapy, and training facilities, as well as athletic facilities such as coaches’ offices, locker rooms, and weight training rooms. One of the essential features of the building is its incorporation of the three health education programs and their connection to the university athletics program. Shared classrooms, labs, and computer technology provide efficiencies for the University among these programs. Additionally, the building houses the Solmaz Institute for Childhood Obesity.
Minges Science Building (1959): A classroom-laboratory building facing the quadrangle, Minges was completed at a cost of $560,000 and named for the donors, Dr. and Mrs. Luther L. Minges, Rocky Mount, N.C., and their family. In 2015, the University began planning and construction of the new wing of this facility, the Alex and Lee George Hall, which will be the first phase of a full renovation and will add over 32,000 square feet of laboratories and other learning spaces to the Natural Science facility.
Moretz Stadium (1923): Situated between Fourth and Fifth Streets, N.E., this impressive stadium was constructed as a combination football-baseball field and renovated in 1964 into a larger football stadium accommodating 8,500 spectators. Originally called College Field, it was renamed in honor of Helen S. and Leonard Moretz, the donors for its major renovations.
Morgan Hall (1958): This residence hall for first year students faces Eighth Avenue, N.E., accommodates 150 students, and was completed at a cost of $600,000. It was named for Dr. Jacob L. Morgan, president of the United Evangelical Lutheran Synod of North Carolina from 1921 to 1947.
P.E. Monroe Auditorium (1957): Facing Sixth Street, N.E., this structure contains an auditorium with a seating capacity of 1,556, as well as conference rooms and offices. It was completed at the cost of $625,000, funded in part through the Hickory Chamber of Commerce and supported by the citizens of the Hickory area. It was named for Dr. P.E. Monroe, fifth president of Lenoir-Rhyne College.
President’s Home (1952): Facing Fourth Street, N.E., this home was completed at a cost of $60,000 and made possible through a designated gift of $35,000 given by Mr. and Mrs. Albert D. Eckard of Hickory and their son, R. Neil Eckard.
Price Village (1973): Facing Ninth Avenue, N.E., this residence area accommodates 180 students in 6 and 14 student units. It was named for Dr. K.A. Price, class of 1902, a benefactor of Lenoir-Rhyne.
Rhyne Building Addition and Belk Centrum (1983): Attached to Rhyne Memorial Building, this added space contains faculty offices, seminar and classroom areas, and a 180-seat auditorium.
Rhyne Memorial Building (1927): A classroom building facing the quadrangle, the Rhyne building was constructed as the Daniel Efird Rhyne Administration Building and converted to classroom-faculty office use exclusively in 1965. It was fully renovated for classroom use in 1982. It was named for the donor, Daniel E. Rhyne, a Lincoln County industrialist.
Rudisill Library (1943): Facing the quadrangle, the Library building was enlarged and remodeled in 1967, and again in 1983, when a television studio, curriculum laboratory, media classrooms, and other features were added. It was erected with money given by Mr. and Mrs. Carl Augustus Rudisill, Cherryville, NC, and their children, Mr. and Mrs. T.W. Borland and Mr. and Mrs. Ben Richard Rudisill. Recent improvements include the installation of wireless access throughout the building and updating computers. In 2009, the Lohr Learning Commons was opened on the second floor of the facility providing students, faculty, and staff access to a number of general academic supports in one central location.
Schaeffer Hall (1941): Named for Dr. H. Brent Schaeffer, fourth president of Lenoir- Rhyne College, a major renovation project was completed in 2005 converting the building into a conference hall to serve the local business community.
Shuford Memorial Gymnasium (1957): The gymnasium facing Stasavich Place, contains a playing court with a spectator capacity of 3,600, classrooms, offices and dressing rooms. It was completed at a cost of $525,000, given by Shuford Mills, Inc., of Hickory and named for A. Alex Shuford Sr., Hickory industrialist.
Shuford Physical Education Center (1979): Facing Stasavich Place, this structure contains a playing court, natatorium, dance studio, handball courts, weight room, classrooms, and offices. It was completed at a cost of $1.9 million and funded by gifts of Hickory area citizens in response to a $500,000 challenge gift by the late A. Alex Shuford Jr., of Hickory.
St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church (1951): Facing Eighth Street, N.E., and used by the University and St. Andrew’s congregation (organized on the campus in 1894), St. Andrew’s was completed at a cost of $400,000, given by the congregation, the United Evangelical Lutheran Synod of North Carolina, alumni, and other friends of Lenoir-Rhyne University.